Walsingham Hall recognized as heritage building by Norfolk County

The old Walsingham hall is now officially recognized as a heritage building.
A Norfolk County plaque will soon be installed at the 1863 building, which is looked after by the Women’s Institute.
WI President Frances Millen received the plaque from Ward 1 Coun. Noel Haydt at a county meeting in Simcoe on Feb. 16.
The institute’s 18 members meet monthly at the hall. The group helps maintain the building.
The hall also hosts wedding and baby showers, receptions, parties and family Christmas celebrations.
The building on Highway 59 originally served as the township hall for Walsingham Township.
From 1889 to 1963, it was used as a town hall, community hall and courtroom.
In 1967, former South Walsingham township leased the building to the Women’s Institute for 99 years.
In 2013, county council confirmed that it would continue to help maintain the hall, which at that time cost taxpayers about $5,800 a year.
The county’s heritage designation preserves historic features of the hall’s exterior.
The Blue Elephant restaurant in Simcoe also received a heritage plaque on Feb. 16.
The historic Teeterville Women’s Institute building and the Port Dover lighthouse are in line to receive plaques this spring.